Thursday, February 4, 2010

What is an essay?

There is more to the word "essay" than most people know. To students, the word "essay" typically means a paper they must compose, that they will be constructively criticized or assigned a grade. However, this is only one meaning of the word when it is looked at as a noun. You may also use the word "essay" as a verb. Essay means to try, attempt, or put something to trial. Before this assignment, I never knew double meaning to this word. I think it would be interesting if I saw an example of someone using the word "essay" as a verb.
The favorite essay I have ever written happened to be my History 114 final. I was asked to compare the Roman Empire along with the Chinese empire. I knew a lot about this topic which made it very easy for me to think of material to write.

1 comment:

  1. I was definitely one of those students who thought that an essay was just a paper you wrote, I had no idea that it was also a verb. I too would like to see someone use essay as a verb lol.

    ReplyDelete